• Direct and co-ordinate financial budget activities to fund operations, maximise investments and increase efficiency
• Undertake requisitioning of capital equipment
• Ensure appropriate cash management is undertaken by Senior QS in respect of overdue debtors and the timeous rectification thereof
• Analyse regional operation to evaluate performance of region and its staff to determine areas of cost reduction
• Establish relevant internal control procedures
• Oversee the smooth running of the commercial department
Cost Management & Estimating
• Oversee cost management and ensure proper systems and procedures are in place for all related matters
• Oversee the compilation of bids during business development and tendering
Commercial, contract &Legal management
• Undertake a comprehensive risk analysis including feasibility studies of the project and its requirements in conjunction with the company’s risk approval profile
• Recommend participation or dismissal of potential tenders and Stocks involvement based on risk assessment and potential profitability and capacity of the business unit
• Timeously prepare all tender submissions, finalise tenders including signature of contractual documentation
• Ensure proper commercial handover of bid
• Ensure proper commercial closure of project
• Undertake negotiations and finalise contracts with Clients and Professionals
• Timeously conclude all Contract documentation and payment guarantees
• Manage and monitor legal issues through the liaison and briefing of the relevant legal team
• Resolving contractual and commercial problems including the preparation and managing of contractual claims
• Direct activities to plan procedures, establish responsibilities, delegate appropriately, and co-ordinate functions among departments and sites
• Ensure an appropriate QS system is in place
• Review and approve submitted priced Bill of Quantity
• Evaluate and procure insurances and financial guarantees for each project
• Analyse monthly cost reports and manage monthly cost report meetings addressing issues as identified accordingly
• Report monthly on the Final Account status and outstanding guarantees and ensure timeous follow up in this regard
• Review, approve and sign final account.
Client Liaison and relationship management
• Manage, develop and maintain effective client, consultant, supplier and subcontractor relationships ensuring appropriate levels of satisfaction is maintained.
• Build and promote the company, its values and its brand.
Effective management of self and others
• Ensure QS/Site Agents are adequately trained in the sue of the cost reporting package
• Mentor and develop QS staff
• Ensure KPA’s and KPI’s for the team are in place.
• Assist with the recruitment and selection process – professional and places the right people in the right jobs.
• Regular performance assessments
• Ensure continuous Career discussions as appropriate.
• Properly trained in the use of CCS
• Provide adequate support and guidance to operations managers
• Regularly interface with Operational Managers to ensure delivery of service.
• South African Council of Quantity Surveying Profession (SACQSP)
• Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
• Contract law
• At least 10 years’ experience in a similar position and business strategy, contract management, commercial and legal management; operational planning and implementation.
• 7 years QS experience in the construction industry on large Civil projects.
• Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
• 7 Years’ experience in the application of FIDIC and other international and South African Conditions of Contract.
• Valid Driver’s license is essential.
• Business acumen
• Commercial and Interpersonal skills
• Analytical ability
• Conflict management
• Negotiation skills
• Financial skills and orientation
• IT Skills and Orientation
• Team player
• Political savvy
• External awareness
• Leveraging diversity
• Problem solving
• Planning ability
• Numerical orientation
• Excellent communication, people and team management skills.
• Ability to challenge designs and resolve problems to conclusion.
• Ability to demonstrate the right behaviours and lead the team to ensure the culture is in line with Company values.
• Ability to demonstrate the right behaviours.
• Ability to motivate and lead the team in line with the Company culture, ensuring high standards of compliance. Excellent written & oral communication
• Knowledge of Employee Equity Act, Labour Relations Act, OHS Act
• Knowledge of Strategic management, Financial management, Policy development, Risk Management, Quantity surveying Knowledge of business environment
• Excellent IT skills and knowledge of relevant software.
• Knowledge of MS Office, MS Word, Ms Outlook, MS Excel, ERP System, QS Plus /WinQS,
CCS Software and Build-smart
Candidates are invited to submit a CV together with copies of certificates/driver’s licence (no original certificates). Applications that are received without copies of required documentation will not be considered.
Advert Reference No: KC-CM
Completed applications or e-mailed to the recruitment email address below by the indicated closing date.